Teachers – Mrs Rachel Garner & Mrs Jo Tetlow
Autmn Term 2019
A very warm welcome to all our new starters and families and welcome back to the old timers! We have been delighted at how well all the new children have settled into their new environment so brilliantly. We are also impressed with how last year’s Foundation Stage have risen to the challenge of being Year 1s. We are both very proud of them all and are really looking forward to our year ahead.
Our topic this half term is Wonderful Me. The below grid will hopefully give you a flavour of some of the things we’ll be doing and learning about this term. All children will undertake learning based on the same themes but it will be tailored to their different needs and learning abilities.
A few reminders:
- PE kits need to be left in school. Keep a spare pair of pants/tights in PE bags if you think it necessary. We will send home PE kits on a Thursday afternoon, so they can come to school dressed ready in their PE clothes. School uniform can then be packed into their PE bags. Do remember to label all uniform.
- Please remember to send your child to school with a named water bottle and a fruit snack.
- Mrs Tetlow will be in Class 1 on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesday mornings.
- Mrs Garner will be in Class 1 every Thursday and Friday.
- Mrs Leeming will be in Class 1 to support us on a Monday.
- Mrs Weeks will be in Class 1 to support us every morning from Tuesday to Friday and also on Wednesday afternoon
- Mrs Coles will be in Class 1, with Mrs Weeks on a Wednesday afternoon
Ideally for Foundation Stage children, sharing a book for around 5 – 10 minutes every day helps greatly with progress towards becoming a reader. If you and your child have any energy left at the end of a busy day to read together that would be wonderful!
Year 1 –
Homework – homework will be given out on a Wednesday and needs to be returned by the following Monday. For the first 2 weeks of each half term, we will send topic based homework. After that we will set English homework and Maths homework on alternate weeks.
Reading – we expect your child to be reading to an adult every day. Please make sure your child has their reading book and reading diary in school every day and help them change their reading book when needed.
Please pop in to see us if you have any questions or if you need to tell us anything. Do remember to let us know if someone new is collecting your child from school. We need to be informed of this so we are confident that we are sending your child home with the right person.
Year 1 parents can join Mrs Tetlow and Mrs Bestwick in class 2 on Monday 9th September and Mrs Garner will be in class 1 after school on Thursday 12th September for a brief meeting and to answer any questions for Foundation Stage parents. Children can play in the outside area whilst we chat – an adult will keep an eye on them.
Thank you for your support
Jo Tetlow and Rachel Garner
For an overview of the entire Year 1 curricula please click on the link below.